Feng Xue, IBM
Curtis Grosskopf, IBM
Industry Survey: Package Qualification Methodologies
iNEMI is conducting an industry-wide survey to understand what package qualification methodologies are used today and how users' requirements are obtained to ensure that a robust qualification plan is generated.
The results of this survey will be used to identify gaps in qualification methodologies for new package technologies and materials as well as to identify any trends. This project will then propose ways to address those gaps as well as gather and document the industry best practices for the development and qualification of new packaging technologies and materials.
We ask for your participation in this survey. It covers several topics and will require from 20 to 40 minutes to complete, depending on how many questions apply to you.
Link to survey
The deadline for responses is May 25, 2018.
Statement of Work and Project Statement
- New package technologies are qualified using procedures and test conditions based on past experience with the most similar technology previously qualified.
- While previous experience is important to consider, it cannot be the only criterion.
- Relying too much on experience may result in overlooking new failure modes and/or new wear out mechanisms.
- Current test standards may not capture the reliability risk in the new package, or may overstress the technology in the new package.
- Lack of understanding of the assembly processes, application environments, and use conditions of all potential end-users (vs targeted end-users) poses challenges when developing the appropriate reliability test plan for new package/materials. For example:
- Test plan only focuses on standard test methodology or complies with the requirements of a few key customers.
- For new technologies field knowledge (failures, issues, etc.) cannot be fed back into the test plan.
- For new materials/package development, test plan completeness is always questionable.
- Proceeding quickly to device qualification in the new package may delay determination of root cause for technology issues for the new package.
- Little effort by industry to come out with a new test standard for new packaging technologies.
Purpose of Project
The purpose of this project is to develop a methodology for qualifying new packaging technology to address the gaps resulting from:
- Lack of understanding of assembly processes.
- Lack of understanding of the interactions of the materials and components within the new package.
- Lack of understanding of the application environment.
- Lack of understanding of the use conditions of all potential end-users.
- Lack of understanding how variations of the packaging and manufacturing process could affect product quality and reliability.