Dr. Fu Zhao, Purdue University
Tom Okrasinski, Nokia
Statement of Work and Project Statement
Click here to view Project Statement
Click here to view Statement of Work
This project will update and expand on iNEMI’s previously developed Eco-Impact Estimator tool which enables extremely efficient and accurate LCA (life cycle assessment) estimates for two key greenhouse gas emissions component categories: bare printed wiring boards and large integrated circuits Having a simple and straightforward tool that is usable by industry for major ICT (information and communication technology) components allows for better evaluation of a product’s environmental footprint.
The overall object for the Phase 3 project is to update the existing tool and test its functionality. This approximately year-long effort will greatly enhance the tool/framework for more general use, with the following proposed topics:
The team will need to define the component categories, collect data sets, and improve on the algorithms and methods for estimating eco-impact. PWBs, ICs, power supplies, cable assemblies, fan trays, passive components and mechanical subassemblies are on the table for inclusion (or updating) within the tool (which is currently limited to greenhouse gas emissions related to global warming potential).
- Update and expand on the ICT components covered
- Investigate inclusion of other environmental aspects such as energy and water usage
- Address new and existing datasets –
- The HDPUG industry consortium has recently completed work on PWB LCA estimation of contemporary manufacturing of conventional and HDI type boards
- ICT industry developed data sets for specific components as identified by the project team
- Allow targeted users general access so product evaluations and case studies can be input and maintained within the tool (specifics for access, security, and product / case study information propriety protection will need to be fully developed and confirmed)
- Expand product sets and refine algorithms and methods for estimating eco-impact
For Additional Information