Feng Xue, IBM
Joe Zou, Intel
Charlie Reynolds, IBM
Wafer/Panel Level Fine Pitch Substrate Inspection/Metrology Project, Phase 3 Call-for-Participation Webinar (March 5 2020)
Statement of Work and Project Statement
- The finer pitch substrate features used in new advanced packaging technologies such as SiP, 2.5D, etc., can make it difficult to validate designs and, as a result, impact yield assessment and quality validation of these new packages. There is a need to identify and characterize the capabilities of inspection technologies that can enable faster process development and higher yield in volume production. The Wafer/Panel Level Fine Pitch Substrate Inspection/Metrology project was organized to address this need.
Phase 3 Focus
Phase 3 continues the study of inspection technologies begun in Phase 2, focusing on an organic test vehicle (TV).
- Evaluate current inspection & measurement capabilities for fine pitch substrates that will be needed over the next five years.
- Fabricate TV on organic substrate with the same TV designs used in Phase 2.
- Understand and quantify the automatic optical inspection (AOI) capability limitations for the fine pitch patterns and defects on TVs.
- Compare with other metrologies, such as SEM or OGP, and identify the different capability results among the TV substrate.
- Start the review of TV designs and defect modes for 10um line/space down to 1um and determine implications for organic substrate fabrication.
- Over the longer term, analyze measurement data and compare the data with AOI-type equipment and other metrologies and TV substrate types.