Benowitz Named iNEMI Chairman

Three New Directors Elected to the Board and One Re-elected 

Herndon, Va. (June 28, 2013) — The board of directors of the International Electronics Manufacturing Initiative (iNEMI), an industry-led consortium, has elected Marc Benowitz of Alcatel-Lucent as iNEMI chairman.

Benowitz is senior director, Reliability & Eco-Environmental Engineering at Alcatel-Lucent in Murray Hill, New Jersey (see biography and downloadable photo). He has been a member of the iNEMI Board since 2001, and is the fifth person elected to serve as chairman of the consortium.  Benowitz replaces Nasser Grayeli of Intel Corporation, who chaired the organization since 2002.  

“I am happy that Marc has agreed to become the fifth chairman of the iNEMI board of directors,” said Nasser Grayeli, vice president, Technology and Manufacturing Group and director, Corporate Quality Network for Intel Corporation. “During my chairmanship, he was a dedicated and active board member, and I always sought his advice.  I believe that Marc, Bill Bader and the board of directors will lead iNEMI to become the forum of choice for industry to drive the resolution of our tough technical challenges.” 

“Marc has been a valuable member of the board and an active contributor to iNEMI’s planning and activities for many years,” said Bill Bader, CEO.  “In his time on the board, he has come to understand the workings of iNEMI and the special challenges of a consortium. He has added great strategic and tactical value to the iNEMI board, and I believe he will be a real asset as our chairman. I look forward to working with him.”

iNEMI experienced significant advances under Grayeli’s leadership, both in terms of membership growth as well as geographic expansion, to become a truly international electronics manufacturing consortium.  

“Nasser personally helped attract and retain many leading industry firms to join and contribute to iNEMI’s success and, through his guidance, we have maintained our technology focus within the context of what makes good business sense for the entire supply chain,” said Bader. “We are grateful for the role he has played in iNEMI’s success, and look forward to Intel’s continued involvement on the iNEMI board of directors.”  

Additional Director Changes
Sundar Kamath, senior vice president of technology for Sanmina, has retired from the iNEMI board.  Bader notes that, during Kamath’s 10-year tenure as director (2003-2013), he focused on strategic issues in new market segments, provided technical direction and helped grow the iNEMI membership.

New directors joining the iNEMI board are: Murad Kurwa, vice president of the advanced engineering group, Flextronics; Mostafa Aghazadeh, vice president, Chandler Assembly Technology Development, Intel; and Jo De Boeck, senior vice president and CTO of imec. In addition, Byung Joon (BJ) Han, executive vice president and CTO, STATS ChipPAC, was re-elected to the board.

About iNEMI
The International Electronics Manufacturing Initiative’s mission is to forecast and accelerate improvements in the electronics manufacturing industry for a sustainable future. This industry-led international consortium is made up of more than 100 manufacturers, suppliers, industry associations and consortia, government agencies and universities. iNEMI roadmaps the needs of the electronics industry, identifies gaps in the technology infrastructure, establishes implementation projects to eliminate these gaps (both business and technical), and stimulates standards activities to speed the introduction of new technologies. The consortium also works with government agencies, universities and other funding agencies to set priorities for longer-term industry needs and R&D initiatives. iNEMI is based in Herndon, Virginia (near Washington, D.C.), with regional offices in Shanghai, China; Limerick, Ireland; and Tokyo, Japan. For additional information about iNEMI, go to http://www.inemi.org.

For further information:
Cynthia Williams
+1 207-871-1260
cwilliams@inemi.org