Feng Xue, IBM
Curtis Grosskopf, IBM
Sign up through August 15, 2017
Call for Participation Webinar
Statement of Work and Project Statement
- New package technologies are qualified using procedures and test conditions based on past experience with the most similar technology previously qualified.
- While previous experience is important to consider, it cannot be the only criterion.
- Relying too much on experience may result in overlooking new failure modes and/or new wear out mechanisms.
- Current test standards may not capture the reliability risk in the new package, or may overstress the technology in the new package.
- Lack of understanding of the assembly processes, application environments, and use conditions of all potential end-users (vs targeted end-users) poses challenges when developing the appropriate reliability test plan for new package/materials. For example:
- Test plan only focuses on standard test methodology or complies with the requirements of a few key customers.
- For new technologies field knowledge (failures, issues, etc.) cannot be fed back into the test plan.
- For new materials/package development, test plan completeness is always questionable.
- Proceeding quickly to device qualification in the new package may delay determination of root cause for technology issues for the new package.
- Little effort by industry to come out with a new test standard for new packaging technologies.
Purpose of Project
The purpose of this project is to develop a methodology for qualifying new packaging technology to address the gaps resulting from:
- Lack of understanding of assembly processes.
- Lack of understanding of the interactions of the materials and components within the new package.
- Lack of understanding of the application environment.
- Lack of understanding of the use conditions of all potential end-users.
- Lack of understanding how variations of the packaging and manufacturing process could affect product quality and reliability.
Steps for Joining the Project
Please note: iNEMI membership is required to participate in this project sign-up. Sign up through August 15, 2017.
For iNEMI members:
- Complete and sign the project statement agreement
- Fax the completed statement(s) to +1 (703) 834-2735 or scan and email to email@example.com