Billy Ahn, STATS ChipPAC
Anthony Yang, CoreTech System Co., Ltd. (Moldex3D)
Presentation (March 22 & 23, 2018) (this is for iNEMI members only)
This project looked at mold resin flowability and warpage on SiP modules, and will report on outcomes during this members-only webinar, including:
- Comparison of mold flowability data for different component geometries in substrates (simulation and actual experiment).
- Simulation result of several factors related to substrate layout, mold compound resins and molding conditions.
- The experiment was performed for several SiP module geometries, and evaluation was made by visual inspection, scanning acoustic microscopy, X-ray inspection, and scanning electron microscopy to compare with simulation results.
Statement of Work and Project Statement
- A number of Integrated and minimized package solutions has been developed in IC package industry. Markets such as the mobile, consumer and wearable devices are requiring smaller and thinner package solutions. One of the solutions to meet this challenging assessment is System in Package (SiP). SiP is able to meet low package profile which is required of thinning die, small pitches of each component.
- Because SiP solutions address the market trend of smaller size with high performance, and allow designers to have various options to place components and add more components with less cost and less cycle time with using existing components and changing components position, SiP packaging solutions will form a large segment of the packaging industry in the future.
- SiP package solutions can be very complex due to the increasing number of IC packages and passive components in given space, and the narrower gap between die-to-passive or passive-to-passive, the narrower clearance between mold top to components top as well. High density and complexity of components in the package can increase the risk of molding process. There needs to be a good understanding of the filling characteristics relative to the density of components and of the failure modes such as incomplete fill, void and solder bridges.
Purpose of Project
- Provide basic design rules based on mold flow simulation for a variety of cases with component of different geometries. Verify the validity of the simulation results through experimental work.